Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Yesterday, made good progress on a number of things:

- painted POR-15 in the inner bottom of the doors.  Driver's door, which is original, had quite a bit of rust, so this will stop it.

- continued sanding/filling/sanding door panels, and am pretty much done on that front.  Will go back and re-check today.

- started filling/sanding dents in front valance.  I put on a new valance, but when clamping it for the panel adhesive to bond, dented the front.  So am filling that and am probably 75% done.

- to cover (even temporarily) all of the bodywork, I activated a can of 2K epoxy primer (spray-on).  'Pot life' is 4 days, so I'm going to try and make the most of that $19 can of primer.

- dinged some dents out of the passenger front fender (from dropping it on the concrete).  They came out pretty easily, and now just need a skim coat of filler.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Monday, December 5, 2011

A good weekend of welding and body filler.  Welded up the multiple holes in the doors from various mirror mountings.  I plan to go back with stock chrome mirrors (which I already have), after the car is painted.  Reckon I'll drill them then.  Though, I suppose, I should drill them while still in primer, so as to not leave a bare metal edge to rust.
A quick stop by Harbor Freight on Friday night, and I had new welding gloves and a solar-powered, auto-dimming welding helmet. (see pic)  I also bought some ear protection, as my air compressor is really LOUD.

Locating my cut-off tool (for grinding the welds) was problematic, but after some accusatory emails to some friends, to whom I thought I had loaned it, I remembered where it probably was, and, indeed, it was there!

Welding with non-shielded, flux-core wire is a little messier than MIG, but I got the hang of it, and the spatter comes off pretty easily with some 60 grit paper.

Doors are now skim-coated, sanded and primed.  I most likely will go back over them again.  I also am going to apply POR-15 to the inside bottom of the doors, as they tend to rust, and the driver's door is already showing some corrosion. 


I also did a little work on the driver's rocker....