Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Engine Progress - 11/09/10

I'm going back and forth between engine and components (when I'm at home nights/weekends) and bodywork (nights at the vo-tech).   The past weekend, I did a little engine work.  I repainted the engine (remember the rust induced by the clothes dryer?) and collected the various studs, nuts, bolts & washers necessary to attach the 'peripherals'. 

I bought nuts/bolts from the local supplier.  Turns out he gave me 5/16-18 nuts for 5/16-24 threaded studs.   That will ruin the studs on your water pump housing.  I happened to be in KC last week, so I stopped in at Victoria British and got the appropriate studs, then went to Lowe's and got an abundance of 5/16 lockwashers and 5/16-24 nuts out of the 'Grade 5' specialty bins.

I could now attach the water pump housing, the water pump, the fan clutch/fan, and the fuel pump, dizzy, and alternator.

Took me a while to find out that the alternator bracket fit on the water pump housing.  As you can see, the
components are coming together.  Engine looks much nicer/cleaner with a coat of semi-gloss black engine paint.  I've not decided on the oil filter adaptor.  I probably won't use it.  But I had to understand how it went on.  I also think that my fuel pump is the one that doesn't require the spacer, but right now the spacer's on there.

I cleaned the fan up nicely with some household cleaner.  It was filthy when I got it.  And it's original!


See the alternator bracket?

Most recently, I decided to repaint the valve cover with silver.  I had painted it orange at first, but then realized that was inaccurate.  I used aircraft paint remover to take off the orange (using soaked steel wool to get in the crevices), then high heat Rustoleum primer (3-4 coats). wet sand with 600 grit, then topcoat with 5 light coats of high heat silver ("High Heat Silver, Away!" (sorry, couldn't resist...)).  I may clearcoat it as well.

11/11/10 Update - This morning I read an article that said you should never primer a valve cover or other engine component.   Hmmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment