Thursday, October 7, 2010

History Pt 2

So, I had a '71 in '73 'clothing'.  The DPO had pop-riveted the VIN from a 'salvage title' car (before Arkansas enacted its 'Lemon Law').  No biggie to me.  I could still license the car and drive it, and now at least I knew which parts to buy.

Notice the missing front marker lights, how the driver's    
headlight seems to be aimed at an upward angle, and how
the rear tire is somewhat splayed out...
Next, I replaced the brake cylinders on the rear.  Huh, my leaf springs are broken and sagging.  Then, driving it to work one November morning, the fan belt broke, and jammed itself behind the water pump.  That repair was an all-afternoon affair that involved one person with heavy gloves on, grasping the fan belt, while the other 'bumped' the ignition.  Fan belt removed/replaced.

Then I made my fatal error.   I dismantled the front of the car.  Took everything off.  Stripped it like an 8-year-old unwrapping presents on Christmas morning.  And there it sat. 

For my anniversary, my loving wife bought me new floorpans and two new (to me) front fenders.  And there it sat.

I went to a local u-pull-it yard on $25 day.  Even paid my buddy's entry fee.  You pay $25 and it's all you can carry out in one load.  We flipped an MG hood, loaded on chrome bumpers, gauges, shocks, everything we could carry.  Probably $1500 in used parts.  All for $50.  And there it sat.

I moved to another town.  And there it sat, sometimes in the garage, and sometimes in the backyard.  Occasionally, I would work on it, but a) I didn't know what I was doing, 2) I didn't have much money to 'invest' in the project, and c) I didn't know what I was doing.

Eventually, I sold it to an older gentleman, who originally only wanted the engine, for about $400.  He got the whole kit and caboodle.

I then focused on another kind of British auto - Land Rover's Range Rover Classic - and ignored MGs for some years...

No comments:

Post a Comment